● Feelings: what's the point of rational thought if emotions always take over? We don't always realise it, but emotions play a positive role in decision making.
● Is pain in your body or mind? How the answer can help guide your treatment A new study aims to understand how thoughts and feelings influence pain.
● Antibiotic resistance: new discovery could change the future of treatment Knowing what genes cause antibiotic resistance -- and where they are in the body -- is critical for preventing further antibiotic resistance.
● 'Natural' flood management would be overwhelmed by Britain's winter super-floods 'Leaky dams' and tree planting are useful against smaller floods, but they won't hold back the water after a major storm.
● BBC: the licence fee is a small price to pay for a service that unites the UK The BBC is under threat as the government considers abolishing the licence fee. This would be a disaster.
● The online wellness industry: why it's so difficult to regulate The Goop Lab obscures the distinction between entertainment and evidence.
● The experiences of people with disabilities show we need a new understanding of urban safety Urban safety is as much about inclusion and belonging as it is about better lighting and CCTV.
● What would happen if we all just stopped following rules? Rules help to shape society – but always question why they're are there and who they serve.
● Andrew Weatherall brought record producers out of the back room and lured millions on to the dance floor Hailed as a genius at the mixing desk, Weatherall's eclectic knowledge and skill came to define a musical era.
● Vigilantes and private security are policing the internet where governments have failed Cyber security firms have sparked a revolution similar to the spread of private police forces.
● Do voters prefer white politicians? We asked and the results were telling Participants were asked to choose between white and ethnic minority candidates.
● Caroline Flack's death shows why police and CPS need training in domestic abuse cases It is important that police forces and the CPS are able to recognise that coercive control and couple violence are different and require...
● Discovery of gene associated with 20 autoimmune diseases leads to promising drug trials A drug created to target this gene was found to be effective in treating autoimmune conditions like lupus and psoriasis.
● From cow pox to mumps: people have always had a problem with vaccination Anti-vaccinators today echo 200-year-old debates.
● Uighur Muslims: novel coronavirus could become increasingly virulent in detention camps China needs to tell the world what is going on in its detention camps in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region.