● Howard Sherman: This is why Stephen Sondheim is in all our movies now Earlier this week, Vulture – part of New York Magazine – ran a feature headlined: ‘Why is Stephen Sondheim Karaoke in All
● Kali Peacock: Why we turned to food banks to distribute theatre tickets When Underwired Productions put on our first ever show last year, The Lost Toys’ Big Christmas Adventure!, we were determined to make
● New script-reading company RoughHewn aims to make dramaturgy accessible to all A new script-reading company has been launched with the aim of making dramaturgy more accessible to playwrights at all levels. Directors and
● Equity to elect new general secretary as Christine Payne confirms departure Equity general secretary Christine Payne will retire next year, with a new leader taking over the role from October 2020. The union
● Akademi to create archive of its 40 years of dance work with V&A South Asian dance company Akademi has been given nearly £100,000 to create an archive of its 40 years of work. The archive
● The Stage Awards 2020: Shortlist in full The Stage Awards 2020 will take place at the Royal Opera House in London on January 31. Here are the nominees in
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Producer of the year Any producer or production company – of any scale, subsidised or commercial – is eligible. Judged on criteria including (but not limited
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: London theatre of the year The top theatre in the capital over the past 12 months. Any venue based in Greater London is eligible. This is judged
● Sheffield Theatres and Theatre Royal Stratford East among nominees for The Stage Awards 2020 Sheffield Theatres, sound designers Ben and Max Ringham and Theatre Royal Stratford East are among the nominees for The Stage Awards...
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Fringe theatre of the year The top small-scale theatres across the UK that don’t receive core government funding. Judged on criteria including (but not limited to) artistic
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: International award As with our other awards, this recognises excellence over the past 12 months. Any theatrical organisation or person (eg, theatre, producer, school)
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Regional theatre of the year The top theatre outside of the capital over the past 12 months. Theatres in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are also eligible.
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Achievement in technical theatre The Achievement in Technical Theatre Award recognises individuals or teams that have excelled within their fields in the past 12 months. This
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Theatre building of the year Theatre venues or any physical structure or space hosting theatrical performance are eligible for this award. The building or space must have
● The Stage Awards 2020 shortlist: Innovation award The Innovation Award highlights the best new design, technical or creative developments in the performing arts in the past 12 months. Any
● Jerwood Arts to fund 50 companies to host paid fellowships for disadvantaged creatives Jerwood Arts is to support 50 organisations to host year-long paid fellowships for early-career creatives from disadvantaged socio-economic ...
● Diana Nneka Atuona wins 2019 George Devine playwriting award Diana Nneka Atuona has been announced as this year’s recipient of the George Devine Award for most promising playwright. She was awarded
● The Wedding Singer starring Kevin Clifton to run at Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre Kevin Clifton is to star in The Wedding Singer at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre next year. Based on the 1998 film
● Careers Clinic: How do I get through a fallow Christmas? I got divorced at the end of last year. It would be overdramatic to blame acting life for this, but long tours
● Aimie Atkinson and Danny Mac to star in Pretty Woman: The Musical Aimie Atkinson and Danny Mac will lead the cast of The Pretty Woman: The Musical in the West End, producers have confirmed.
● National Theatre to slash Saturday rehearsals in move towards five-day weeks National Theatre productions will restrict 50% of their rehearsal periods to five days a week from next year, limiting the amount of
● Lunchbox Theatrical: The inside story of how a global empire came crashing down Under chief executive James Cundall, Lunchbox became a global powerhouse, with partners including the RSC and Really Useful Group, as well as
● Playwright Barrie Keeffe dies aged 74 Playwright Barrie Keeffe has died, aged 74. The news was confirmed by his agent Stephen Durbridge, at the Agency on December 10.
● Bloomsbury acquires drama publisher Oberon Books Performing arts publisher Oberon Books has been acquired by Bloomsbury. Oberon Books will sit alongside Bloomsbury’s current theatre offering, which includes Methuen