A Christmas appeal by a Black Country charity is looking to help families celebrate the festive season. ▶ Full story on expressandstar.com
▼ Related news :
● Hollywood pays tribute to Oscar-winni... Leachman, described as a ‘comedy legend,’ died at the age of 94.
● Ex-church warden to appeal against co... Benjamin Field killed Peter Farquhar in order to inherit his house and money after driving him to think he was losing his mind.
● George Cross awarded to Battle of Imj... Lieutenant Terry Waters, 21, was awarded the George Cross after his death during the Korean War and the medal is tipped to sell for up to £180,000.
● Theatres Trust publishes list of venu... Only one theatre has been newly added to the 2020 list.
● Beetle species found in central Europ... Max Barclay, of the Natural History Museum, believes climate change may have caused the species to become extinct in Britain.
● Children spending more time online to... A new report suggests platforms like TikTok have become more popular as children look for new social interactions.
● Weather warnings in place as heavy sn... Yellow weather warnings for ‘heavy snow’ have been issued by the Met Office, covering much of Scotland and parts of northern England.
● Coronavirus infections at highest lev... The findings from Imperial College London’s React study show infections in England have flattened but are at the highest level recorded.
● Huge fall in number of cars built in ... Carmakers were hit by the impact of the coronavirus crisis and Brexit uncertainty for most of 2020 about, says SMMT.
● Renewable power overtakes fossil fuel... Renewables accounted for 42% of electricity production last year while fossil fuels made up 41%, analysis shows.
● Covid-19 crisis taking mental health ... Some respondents to the survey had decided to quit their jobs.
● UK to avoid double-dip recession amid... The EY Item Club predicts the economy will now bounce back next year thanks to the vaccine rollout and Brexit deal.
● Hospitals urged to take action on oxy... Investigators have made safety recommendations after a hospital declared a major incident due to problems with its piped oxygen delivery system.
● Student complaints about universities... Teaching moved online for the majority of students in the spring of 2020 when Covid-19 led to a national lockdown.
● Covid: Living through lockdown in a high-rise flat The continuing lockdown in England is tough for everyone but what's it like if you have limited space at home?
● Covid-19 cases in England 'must fall to ease NHS pressure' Imperial College study notes decline in week to 22 January but fall is slower than in first national lockdown * Coronavirus – latest updates * See all our coronavirus...
● Covid pandemic causing mental health crisis for children Some West Midlands children are forced to wait 64 days for mental health treatment
● Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left frustrated ... Sheffield United won 2-1 for their first victory at Old Trafford since 1973.
● The Papers: 'No EU can't have our jabs' and 'schools out' The papers focus on a row over the supply of Covid jabs to the EU and the timeline for reopening schools.
● People unable to self-isolate at home... An editorial in a leading medical journal calls for more to be done to help those self-isolating.
● Black MPs share video message in bid ... Labour’s David Lammy talks of losing his uncle to the virus while Tory MP James Cleverly speaks of his cousin’s death with Covid-19.
● Carlo Ancelotti refuses to blame Jord... The Toffees goalkeeper was at fault for Youri Tielemans’ equaliser as Leicester claimed a 1-1 draw.
● Scottish budget: What do you need to know? The Scottish government is to set out its budget plans against the backdrop of the Covid-19 pandemic.
● Lionel Messi scores on return as Barc... The Argentinian had served a two-match ban following the first red card of his Barca career.
● Oscar-winning actress Cloris Leachman... The actress won an Oscar for The Last Picture Show.
● Covid: 'Crucial' tourism in Wales reopens by Easter North Wales Tourism boss Jim Jones says revenue has shrunk by £2.17bn because of coronavirus.
● Sheffield United shock title-chasing ... Harry Maguire cancelled out Kean Bryan’s opener before Oliver Burke’s deflected winner.
● Jose Mourinho believes he is not trea... The Spurs boss feels he has been more harshly punished than the likes of Liverpool counterpart Jurgen Klopp.
● Sophie Carrigill has tunnel-vision wh... Carrigill is looking to build on the fourth-placed finish the women’s wheelchair basketball team had in Rio.
● PM talks up benefit of the Union in t... Scotland First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said Boris Johnson’s Thursday visit is ‘not essential’ during the lockdown.
● Scott Parker praises Alphonse Areola ... Graham Potter insisted there were positives to take from the game.